Thursday, January 9, 2014

Facebook Defriending

"Say What???"



We've all had the unpleasant experience of coming to the point where you no longer want to be "Facebook friends" with someone. It's extremely awkward and unpleasant but seriously, some people need to go. Or maybe your relationship has grown apart for various reasons and you don't feel like sharing your Facebook activities with these people anymore. When you come to the point where you look at your friend list and can't even remember how you know these people you need to start hitting the old proverbial 'delete' button.

I've had some pretty interesting experiences with this whole 'Facebook defriending' issue. One time I was defriended and then the person who defriended me asked why we weren't Facebook friends anymore. I said, "Umm… because you defriended me???"  To which they acted utterly surprised and said, "NO! It must have been an accident."  Then they asked to be friends again. Okay. So if you're going to de-friend someone at least have the balls to own up to it. I did.

I defriended someone recently. First off, this was not a close friend of mine (more of an acquaintance) and to say that I 'tolerated her antics' would be putting it lightly.  Weeks after I defriended her, to my surprise, this person 'private messaged' me and said, "Hey, I see we're no longer connected through Facebook. Thoughts????".  To which I immediately laughed out loud. Seriously? She’s are going to say, "Thoughts???" So I decided to deal appropriately with the situation and be super polite. I explained that I was cutting back on my Facebook time and acquaintances and had thoughts about deleting my profile all together, which was true. She responded with, "That's fine Amanda. You're choice. Please delete all of the photos of me and _____ (another friend of whom was not involved in this situation at all) off your profile."

Sooooo.... this is when 'de-friending' people becomes 'Blocking' people.

When bitches get crazy, bitches be getting blocked. I was completely dumbfounded by this person's response. It was like I was back in 7th Grade again (or maybe 3rd grade). This illustrates perfectly why I didn't want to be her Facebook friend. And I was right.


Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been defriended by people plenty! Most times they are individuals who I have lost contact with and who weren’t really close friends to begin with. Am I offended? No. Does it still hurt a little? Sure… but I know I shouldn’t care. I’m a big girl. You have to remember that it’s ok if everyone doesn’t like you. You can’t be everyone’s friend all the time. I think it’s also equally ok to not want to be friends with everyone, or share your personal life events with people you barely know.

If someone defriends you, I think the best thing to do is walk away. They obviously don't want to be your friend so why should you care? I would save the private message confrontations for things that really matter and just put on your big girl panties and Move On!




3 comments:

  1. This post was inspired by Jenn Ells... who has promised to NOT de-friend me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is HILARIOUS and completely accurate! I also feel that if we don't speak in public, you get the cut. Seriously..... come on people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen!! I think back in 'yester-year' Facebook was new and if you saw somebody there that you knew you were like, "OH.. I know you!!" and you would add them as a friend. But now everybody and their dog is on Facebook (literally), and you have to be more selective and careful these days. I've met people, 'in real life', and then added them as friends.. but once I saw the crap they post I'm like "Good Lord! You're nuts!". And had to delete them. lol

      Delete