Monday, February 10, 2014

The Olympic Games: I'm Not a Fan Really.



I feel like the only person alive who doesn't really like the Olympics. Even though I feel this way, I'm smart enough not to go around saying that because the Olympics holds such a special place in everyone's heart (and I'd probably get burned at the stake). It's so politically 'uncorrect' to even think a negative thought about the world's precious Olympic Games. Out of all the controversial topics I blog about, this may end up being the most provocative, oddly enough lol. So, here it is...

My issues with the Olympics are mostly from an economic stand point. The budget for the current Olympics is $50 Billion dollars. These costs are off set by tax payers in the country. For example: Hosting the Olympic Games in Vancouver cost our country $9.2 Billion and $925 Million came from Taxpayer Contributions.

There are arguments that say the Hosting Country would receive a spike in tourism and create a multitude of jobs. In recent studies this is found not to be the case: "There is little evidence of any benefit to tourism of hosting an Olympic games, and considerable evidence of damage." (The European Tour Operators Association). In some cases the hosting countries do not recoup that amount back. For example Athens lost a total of $14-15 Billion.

I think the spirit of the Olympics could shine just as brightly with out being a multibillion dollar expense. I will now take a pause and have a 'bleeding heart moment' when I say that there are so many people in need around the world and in our own country (people who starving, poor, uneducated, unsupported, hospital budget cuts, community program cuts, educational cuts) that it makes me feel embarrassed that we have so many costs associated with 'praising athletes'.

All in all, I'm not a totally 'meany' lol... I think it's great to see the amazing abilities of the human body and to see Countries of the world unite to celebrate the achievements in athleticism.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/31/host-olympic-games-cost

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games

Cheers,
Bootsy

No comments:

Post a Comment