Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Powerhouse Oatmeal: A Delicious Way to Add Protein to a Classic Breakfast Meal



I recently had a revolution about Oatmeal that is super healthy, delicious, easy and gives me extra protein to help keep me fuller and energized for longer.

It's always a challenge to get enough protein into every meal. Every health article out there says the same thing, "Make sure to include protein in every meal". It's a well known fact among nutritionists that by combining protein with your carbohydrates (and healthy fats) it makes you feel fuller for longer and helps to stabilize your blood sugar levels. I find that making sure I'm eating enough protein is a daily struggle because I've never been a big meat eater and, quite frankly, protein-rich legumes and beans have some nasty side effects!

I always have vanilla flavored protein powder on hand, and honestly I probably don't use it as much as I should. Recently, I've started adding half a scoop of protein powder to my bowl of oatmeal and berries. I find that anymore than half a scoop is too much for the liquid in the oatmeal to dissolve (I personally like my oatmeal a bit soupy). Also, since the protein powder is sweetened already I don't have to add any sugar or sweetener to my oatmeal once it's finished!

To make my 'Powerhouse Oatmeal' I use:

1/3 cup of Large Flake Oatmeal (100 calories, Protein 4 gm)
1/2 cup of Frozen Blueberries & Strawberries (Costco brand) (40 calories)
1/3 cup of Water
1/2 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder (Costco brand) (60 calories, Protein 12.5 gm *this varies    
      depending on the brand of protein powder you buy)
*optional: Splash of Soy Milk, sprinkle of sliced Almonds, or dollop of yogurt on top once cooked.
(Nutritional Totals: 200 calories, Protein 16.5 gm)

Directions:
Start off with putting your frozen berries in a bowl and microwave them for 45 seconds to get them mostly thawed. Then add the oatmeal and water to the berries and microwave again for 1 minute. Once cooked add the protein powder and mix thoroughly. If you find the consistency too dry at this point add more water or milk. Top it off with a sprinkle of sliced almonds to add some healthy fats and you're ready to go!

Although I've suggested this meal as an ideal breakfast, it makes for a great meal or snack anytime of day!

Cheers,
Bootsy

No comments:

Post a Comment